Friday, December 4, 2009

2009: Grannies For Peace (Prague)



Once again, everything worked in my favor on this day. They didn't allow photos within the exhibit but this one, my favorite, was featured on a poster outside. It must have taken a lot of courage for an old lady to demonstrate against the Communist government in 1969.
My adopted grandma Mirka later, at the symphony hall...

And everything is working for me today, as well. As I was writing that last paragraph, an old lady named Mirka asked if she could share my table. Mirka was a professor of philosophy at Charles University, where Jan Palach was a student. "It was very sad," she said. "He was a very bright boy... so sad what happened." So she knew him, and had actually lived in Prague through most of the events I'd just visited museums about and posted pictures about... that was really interesting for me.

Mirka and I had a lot in common and ended up sharing a long conversation at Kavarna Slavia. She reminded me of my German grandmother who was also in the habit of befriending single women who could have been her daughters or grand-daughters. After a while, it was obvious that she was getting tired but also was really enjoying having someone to talk to and didn't quite want to let that go, so I asked her if she had plans the following day and she proposed going to a local Kafka exhibit together... so we did.
Mirka on the Charles Bridge.

Does no-one in this country know how to operate a camera?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment