Sunday, December 15, 2013

On the Third Day We’ll Give You a Hoe




Being kissed by a giraffe... really he just wants
the food pellets in my hand

















I couldn’t wait for the third day. Anthony was digging in the corn and I was eager to help him. To say Anthony is the gardener at the convent is a bit of an… but wait a minute. I don’t think I’ve mentioned how it is that I find myself spending a month at a convent in Kenya.

The Sisters here are affiliated with NDNU, where I teach. I met Sister Joan when she was a visiting scholar on my campus and decided then that I would visit her in Kenya if I could. It’s always nice to know someone local when you’re traveling – especially in a place like Kenya, which is so different from the US and where a cultural faux pas can have serious consequences. I am also working on a book about our Sisters and I wanted to experience the way they live in community here in Africa. Joan is mid-way through a 3-year teaching and program development commitment at Tangaza College and is currently one of 22 Sisters of Notre Dame in Kenya.

The convent is very close to the Karen Blixen home (Out of Africa) and the property is large enough that they can grow a significant portion of their own food – corn, beans, papayas, bananas, passion fruit, cabbage, squash, onions, carrots, chard, and of course sukuma wiki – Kenyan kale. Anthony is in charge of the farm. The fact that the Sisters live on a subsistence farm managed by an African farmer is an unexpected gift. I ask if it would be OK for me to help him.

“That’s fine, Patti,” Joan replies, “I’m sure he’ll appreciate it, but we normally don’t put visitors to work so soon.”

“On the third day we give them a hoe,” Sister Judy chimes in.

Joan laughs. “That’s right – for the first two days, you’re a guest… but on the third day we give you a hoe.”

“But didn’t you say Anthony’s leaving for the holidays on Monday?”

“Oh that’s right,” Joan says. “It might be useful for him to show you a few things before he goes.”

It’s settled, then. I’d wanted to find something useful to do to earn my keep, and this will be it. I am happy. Anthony graciously lets me be his “helper.” He shows me how to do weeding in the corn plot, which is not at all like weeding in the States. Back home we pull weeds and throw them away. If we’re really committed, we toss them into a compost pile. Here they turn them under with a hoe and leave them there to compost in place. Anthony shows me how to do it. As we work the rows, we also make a little heap of earth around the stalk of each corn plant to help stabilize it.

What a patient teacher Anthony is. He shows me how to do it then works silently beside me for a few minutes while I give it an awkward try. He’s not picky about holding the handle just right like many people can be when they're trying to teach something, doesn’t grab it from me and snarl – “do it this way!” His blood pressure doesn’t go up if I’m not standing just so. He seems to understand that I need a few minutes to observe and mimic… to get a feel for this new task. Eventually he says “Please – ” to get my attention. “Like this.” Thuk, thuk, thuk goes his hoe in the rich red earth. “It is easier to go forward.” And he’s right. We weed in the big corn plot until it starts to rain. What a pleasure it is to learn from someone who is on Kenya time.

Feeding time at the baby elephant rescue
She doesn't look so tough, but Sister Carolyn
works in South Sudan - not your easiest assignment!
On my second day I play tourist with Joan, Sister Carolyn, Sister Astride and another guest at the convent. We visit the giraffe interpretive center and an orphan elephant rescue center that does amazing work on behalf of Kenya’s elephants. I make Stephanie a foster parent for Quanza, a small elephant who was orphaned when her mom was killed by ivory poachers. Here’s her story, but be forewarned… it’s about the saddest mother-daughter story you’ll ever hear: http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/asp/orphan_profile.asp?N=284

We settle in back at the convent, and I get an early night’s sleep… I have to get up early tomorrow morning to learn how to feed the chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment