Saturday, December 21, 2013

Margaret's Shamba



– What are you doing today, Margaret?
– In the shamba. Digging.

Digging –
     The earth yields easily,
     willingly receives my hoe
     as collaboration, not attack.

Digging –
     red, brown, living earth…
     smells of herbs, tea, grass and ground…
     gentle African rhythms hover on the wind…
     cool air like velvet on my sweaty skin…

Digging –
     My hands blister
     against the splintered hoe.
     Margaret’s are thick, tough, sensitive.

Digging –
     yesterday we could not,
     but today the rain was light
     and other chores are done.
     Tomorrow is the day of the solstice!

Digging –
     – I want to make a new garden…
          – here, she says,
          – … and here.

Digging –
     – I‘ll help you then, I answer,
     and together in reverent silence
     we dig.


  ~Jembe ardhini, afya mwilini.
  ~ The hoe in the soil brings health to the body.

















No comments:

Post a Comment